Mullu Murungai Adai

I have heard about this leaf and adai but never tried it because of the unavailability of the leaf. Last week I got it in a store nearby. Then I asked my neighbour about the recipe. She showed me the method of tearing the leaf and gave me the recipe. The toughest part of making this adai is tearing the mullu murungai leaves. My hand started aching when I finished with the bunch of leaves. The adai was delicious. The mullu murungai is a medicinal plant and this adai is good for those with severe cold. I prepared coconut chutney to go with it. My daughter didn't like it but my hubby liked this adai.


Ingredients:
Par Boiled Rice-1cup
Mullu Murungai Leaves (torn into small pieces)-2cups
Pepper Powder-1-2tsp
Salt-to taste
Onion-1 (finely chopped)

Procedure:
1. Tear apart the mullu murungai leaves into small pieces and discard the veins. Removing the veins is very important. You can do this the previous day and store the leaves wrapped with foil in the fridge.
2. Soak par boiled rice for 2hours.
3. Grind it to a fine thick paste along with the mullu murungai leaves and pepper powder. Using a wet grinder is preferred, because you can get a very thick paste. If using mixer grinder, add little water to grind. The paste should resemble a sticky dough.
4. Add salt and onion.
5. Pinch a portion of the dough and flatten it on a hot tawa. Wet your hand while flattening the adai.
6. Drizzle oil and cook until both sides are golden.
7. Serve hot with coconut chutney.


Mullu Murungai Leaves


A closer look at the leaf


First remove the centre vein


Then remove the side veins. Tear the leaf and remove any protruding vein


Finish off with the bunch


The batter looks so greeny!

Labels: , ,