Jigarthanda/ Jil Jil Jigarthanda - Madurai Famous Cool Drink

I am living in Madurai and even after 3 years of blogging, I haven't blogged about the famous Madurai drink Jigarthanda. You can see a Jigarthanda stall at every nook and corner of Madurai. They also sell it in push carts. Though I have been in Madurai for nearly 7 years, I got to taste this drink only few months back. And then whenever I see a jigarthanda stall, I never miss it. As it is available everywhere, I never thought of making this at home. My favourite Jigarthanda is available at Murugan Idli Shop near Meenakshi Amman Temple and opposite Pothy's. When I posted Falooda recipe, one of my friends suggested that I post Jigarthanda also. These two drinks are quite similar but completely different in taste. While falooda has noodles in it, jigarthanda has badam gum/ pisin instead. Both have flavoured milk and served with icecream on top. But jigarthanda is plain without any garnishes. As you all know Madurai is extremely hot and people are always on look out for quenching their thirst and cooling thier body. This drink serves both. Badam pisin and nannari sharbat, both ingredients of jigarthanda, have nice cooling properties. The home made icecream served along with this makes it an exotic drink. 



In Madurai, where ever I have tasted Jigarthanda, it looks light brown in colour. And when I was going through the recipes on net, they were all pink in colour just like Falooda. So to recreate the Madurai version, I started experimenting. I saw so many videos, read a lot of posts and then started out on my experimenting. I didn't strive hard. I had an idea and it was completely successful at the very first attempt. When I served it to hubby dear, he was full of praises. He was happy that I have recreated it perfectly. Now I will share with you the method I used to make this drink. First I reduced 2 litres of milk to 750 ml. This changes the colour of milk to light brown. And to this milk I added a cup of home made palkhova which is also brown in colour. You need to use cow's milk to get the colour. Then I chilled half the milk and used the remaining to make the ice cream. And now it is time for Badam Pisin/ Almond Gum. There are so many versions out there, I even came across one using china grass but Badam Pisin creates the authentic jigarthanda. Soak 2 tbs of badam pisin in water for 8 hours. It will increase in volume and become jelly like. It is so beautiful to look at. Strain it through a fine sieve and refrigerate. Now you can assemble the drink at any time and enjoy it.


This is the Almond Gum/ Badam Pisin.



Two tablespoons of the gum made this much of  jelly once soaked.



How cute is that???



This is the nannari sharbath which is another main ingredient.



Mix together the reduced milk, two to three table spoons of badam pisin and generous amount of nannari sharbat in a bowl. Pour it into a glass.



Scoop out the ice cream made with reduced milk. 

Home made Vanilla Ice Cream:
Ingredients:
Milk-2 cups
Fresh Cream-2 cups
Reduced Milk mixed with Paalkhova-1 cup
Sugar-1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence-2 tsp
Corn Flour-3 tbs

Procedure:
1. Bring milk to boil.
2. Mix corn flour to 1/4 cup of room temperature milk.
3. Add sugar and corn flour mixture to boiling milk and whisk until it is completely cooked and becomes a little thick.
4. Add vanilla essence and allow it to cool completely.
5. Add cream and whisk with a wooden spoon.
6. Transfer to a plastic box and refrigerate.
7. Take the box out of refrigerator after an hour and whisk it with a wooden spoon.
8. Return it back to the freezer.
9. Repeat it 5 times.
10. During the sixth time, transfer the contents to a mixer jar and beat until smooth.
11. Now freeze it until set.



Add it on top of the milk and pour a tbs of nannari sharbath on top. Enjoy!!!!



Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , , , ,