Patterned Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake

For this month's Home Baker's Challenge, Pallavi of Thou Shalt Cook, suggested the members three recipes. As I have made zebra cake and cake pops earlier, I wanted to try out the patterned swiss roll she suggested. I was googling for some patterns on the cake and stumbled upon a beautiful heart patterned cake in my search. It was from Dulce Delight. After reading her recipe and going through the video, I decided to make a heart patterned cake.




I have tried making rolls in the eggless version, but every time I end up with broken rolls. It has never come out good except for once. Do you remember the Yule Log Cake I made for a challenge? The only problem I had was it used a lot of egg replacer and now I am out of stock. So I couldn't try an eggless version for this cake. After I started using eggs in cakes, the very first recipe I tried was the swiss roll. The very first roll cracked and I was so depressed. Then I read a lot about the swiss rolls and knew the problem. I was overbaking my sheet cake. So I reduced the baking time to 8 minutes and got a perfect roll without any cracks. Every time I made swiss roll, I made the vanilla roll and this time I was happy to try the chocolate roll. 


I had the perfect swiss roll recipe. SO I didn't want to experiment again. I used my regular recipe and used the recipe for the pattern from Dulce Delight. For the filling I used the strawberry jam and sweetened whipped cream. How is the cake looking. This roll is apt for kid's party celebrations. My daughter is a fan of chocolate  and so she loved these rolls. But she didn't like the whipped cream frosting. So she just took it off from the slice and had only the cake and jam. 



Recipe Source: Dulce Delight, Delicious Magazine
Ingredients:
For The Pattern:
Egg white-1
Granulated sugar-30 gm
Flour - 40 gm
Butter-20 gm
Food Colour of Your Choice

For The Chocolate Roll:
      Caster sugar- 125 gm
      Flour/ Maida-100 gm
     Cocoa powder-25 gm
      Instant coffee powder-1 tsp
      Eggs-3 large
      1 tbs warm milk
      Strawberry or raspberry jam-1/3 cup

Whipped Cream - 200 ml 
Icing Sugar-6 tbs

Procedure:
  1. Mix together egg white, sugar and flour given for pattern.
  2. Add butter and mix.
  3. Add any food colour of your choice.
  4. Transfer to a piping bag with a small tip.
  5. Grease and line a 10” * 13” baking tray.
  6. Draw any pattern of your choice and freeze it for 30 minutes.
  7. Preheat oven to 180C.
  8. In a bowl beat eggs and sugar for 10 minutes until it reaches the ribbon stage.
  9. Whisk together flour cocoa and coffee powder.
  10. Sift half of it into the egg mixture and very gently fold in.
  11. Add the remaining and gently fold in.
  12. Finally add 1 tbs of warm milk and gently fold in.
  13. Pour the batter over the frozen pattern and smooth it evenly.
  14. Bake for 8 minutes.
  15. Have two tea towels dusted with icing sugar ready.
  16. Invert the tray on the first towel.
  17. Remove the baking paper and trim the crispy edges.
  18. Now invert this onto the other tea towel.
  19. Roll it immediately and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
  20. Now open the roll, apply jam and frosting.
  21. Roll it again without the towel.
  22. Trim the sides.
  23. Slice it into ½” slices and serve.




Mix the ingredients for pattern.



Whisk in the butter.



Add colour.



Mix well.



Fill a piping bag with the mixture.



Grease and line a baking tray. Gease the paper also with butter.



Mark dots with the pattern mixture at regular intervals.



Make th eheart shapes or any pattern you love and freeze the tray. Pinterest gives you a lot of design ideas.



Take eggs and sugar.



Beat for 10 minutes.



Mix together flour, coffee and cocoa powder.



Sift it in batches into the egg mixture and fold.



Fold it carefully without deflating the eggs.



Add the remaining flour and fold.



Pour the cake mixture on the frozen pattern.



Spread it evenly.



Dust two towels with icing sugar.



Flip the baked sheet cake on the first towel.



remove the paper and trim down the crisp edges.



Now invert this again on another towel.



Roll it and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.



Once cool, remove the roll and spread the jam on the cake.



Beat cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.



Apply it on the cake.



Now roll the cake again into a tight roll.



Trim the edges.



Swiss roll is ready.



Slice it up and serve immediately.



I am linking this to the Kid's Delight - Chocolate started by Srivalli and is being guest hosted here at Gayathri's Cook Spot.

Print Friendly and PDF

Labels: , , , , , , ,